Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Lot's Tribe
This is one of the members of Lot's Tribe, an art installation that's in Occidental Park right now. It's dedicated to the victims of September 11th, but the life size salt sculptures are supposed to represent the affects of the Iraqi war on Iraqi civilians.

I originally wanted to go see the sculptures for myself because I was intrigued by the fact that they were made out of salt, and then this morning on the bus, I looked across Main St. and saw their ghostly shapes almost glowing through the dark park, so I decided I had to go check them out later today.

Up close, Lot's Tribe was depressing. The sculptures were very detailed and lifelike and they were all suffering. (The artist's intended goal, I'm sure.) I thought this one was the least depressing AND it happened to be the only one without a crowd around it when I was looking at him, so he's the one that made it to the blog.

They're calling for rain by Thursday, so at least the (salt) suffering will begin to melt away soon...
 Posted by Picasa