Friday, August 04, 2006

Salumi Porchetta Sandwich
I ended up taking a half day off today. When I first decided to do this, I thought about going to Salumi for lunch. But by the time I was in the elevator on my way out of the building, I had changed my mind and decided to go to the Pike Place Market instead. But when I got as far as 3rd Avenue, I took a left instead of a right. I was Salumi-bound.

Here's why:










Porchetta sandwich with fresh mozzarella and onions (no peppers).










They start out with half of a crusty baguette. Then they split it in half. One side of the bread is dressed with an olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper and bread crumb sauce, while the other side gets an olive oil, parsley and caper sauce. Next comes the thick slices of (housemade! every day!) mozzarella.Then there's the porchetta itself. Sigh. Slow cooked pork that is so tender and delicious that it defies definition. (Let's just say that if I were a pig, I would pray that this is what would become of me. There would be no higher calling.) Finally, it is adorned with onions. Then the sandwich maker cuts the sandwich in half and bravely attempts to wrestle this juicy masterpiece into paper to be rolled, wrapped and bagged.

I could only eat half of it for lunch. The other half is waiting for tomorrow. And so am I! Posted by Picasa