Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Sunday and Monday's Dessert

Behold the wonder that is Granny's Toasted Almond-Mocha Blender Torte (although I will confess that I made this with pistachios instead of almonds, because I had plenty of pistachios and no almonds). Granny and Uncle Dave made us the original version last time we visited. This was my first time making it. It's easy and refreshingly light for something that tastes so rich.

Cake:
4 large eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup toasted almonds (or your nut of choice)
1/4 cup flour
2 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
In a blender (hence the name Blender Torte), whirl eggs, sugar and nuts until nuts are very finely ground. Add flour and baking powder; whirl until mixed well. Pour batter into a buttered 9-inch diameter cake pan. (Although I think I used an 8-inch pan.) Bake in a 350 degree oven until cake feels set in center when lightly touched, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool ten minutes (cake will settle), then invert cake onto a plate and cool completely.
Mocha Cream:
1 and 1/2 cups whipping cream
1/3 cup sugar (I believe I used a little less)
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 tablespoon instant coffee powder (I used Medaglia D'Oro instant espresso)
1 teaspoon vanilla
In a blender, combine all ingredients and whirl mixture just until softly whipped; do not overblend. Frost cooled cake with mocha cream and keep cool until serving.

Full disclosure:
The original recipe calls for 1 and 1/4 cups of toasted almonds, and reserves 1/4 cup for garnishing the torte. I chose to skip that step.


Posted by Picasa