Monday, January 08, 2007

Recreating A Favorite

This was my attempt to recreate the Viet Chi's ginger chicken. It used to be the lunch special on Mondays (and was one of my favorites). The Viet Chi lost their lease almost a year ago, so I figured it was time to try to make it myself. For the first attempt, I got pretty close. I marinated skinless, boneless chicken thighs with a lot of fresh grated ginger, crushed garlic and soy sauce. Then I chopped up the veggies: cabbage, carrots, onion (they had broccoli in theirs, but I skipped that this time) and some more ginger (slivered instead of grated). Braised it all (marinade too) in a little chicken stock for about 40 minutes. I served it over rice and topped it with some soy sauce, chili paste and chopped peanuts. Like I said, pretty good, but there's room for improvement.
Posted by Picasa