Monday, February 12, 2007

Cabbage Rolls Deconstructed

Due to some technical difficulties (and a dearth of patience on my part) I have no corresponding picture for this post...but Saturday, I decided to whip up something (a one dish wonder) that would see me through several meals. So, I browned up some mild Italian and garlic sausage (two links of each) that I bought at Fero's Meats at the market, (they weren't very greasy, so I didn't need to drain off any fat). Then I added a diced onion and cooked it with the sausage until it was translucent. Then I added maybe a cup of long grain white rice. Then I added half a head of chopped cabbage and some salt. Stirred that around for awhile until the cabbage began to wilt. Then I added a big can of tomatoes with basil and a regular old size can of chicken broth. I brought everything to a boil, then covered and simmered everything for about 30 minutes. There was still quite a bit of unabsorbed liquid, but I called it done (the rice was fully cooked)and stuck in the fridge. Then I didn't even eat it until today for lunch. And then again for dinner. What I'm saying is, I think it's important to let all the flavors kind of meld together for a day or so...and that it tastes good enough to want to eat (at least) two meals of it in a row. So I guess the technique that I used to make this is basically the same as making jambalaya (sauteing the "raw" rice with meat and veggies before adding stock).